Revealation of Ayats More Than Once
Posted: 24 Rabi-ul-Awwal 1424, 26 May 2003
CHECKED AND APPROVED: Mufti Ebrahim Desai
|Q.) Last night I came to know that there are few ayats in the Qur'an that were revealed more than once. Would you please explain which are those ayats? It is said that Surah Fatiha was revealed once in Makkah and second time in Madinah. The reason for the repeated revelation of Surah Fatiha was well explained by Imam Ibne Qayyim in his splendid Madarijus Salikeen. Unfortunately I do not have this book here in the libraries. Please inform me as to what was the reason for twice revelation of Surah Fathiha? [Ahmed Wasi]|
A.) Allaamah Suyuti (RA) has enumerated up to 9 different verses or Surahs of the noble Qur'an that were revealed more than once:
1. The last few verses of Surah Nahl
2. The first few verses of Surah Rum (Surah30)
3. Surah Fatiha (Surah1)
4. Verse113 of Surah Tawbah (Surah9)
5. Verse114 of Surah Hud (Surah11)
6. Verse 85 of Surah Israa (Surah17)
7. Surah Hud (Surah11)
8. Surah Israa (Surah17)
9. Surah Ikhlaas (Surah112)
The scholars have documented various reasons for which a particular verses or an entire Surah was revealed more than once. Some of those reasons are:
1. As a reminder.
2. Due to the recurrence of the need.
3. To illustrate the honor/significance of that verse.
4. Sometimes, the second revelation was in a different dialect.
[ refer al-Itqaan fi Uloomul Qur'an of Allaamah Suyuti pgs.48-49 ]. And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best