Divorcing a Missing Wife

By Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Posted: 2 Rajab 1424, 30 August 2003

Q.) My wife and I were separated two years back ( we were married for 8 months and have no children). When we separated, she returned to her home country, Malaysia. Since then she has moved to a different city and I do not have her new address or telephone number. I have not been able to contact her. How do I go about divorcing her? [M. N. Shamsi]

A.) Divorce is valid by issuing it verbally. The presence of the wife is not necessary.

We advise you issue your wife one irrevocable divorce (Talaaq-e-Baain) and reduce that in writing with the date and time and post that to any of her family or associates to pass it over to her.

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best